Monday, March 31, 2008

The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Scrapbook


For anyone who stumbles in here before this is entirely online, this blog is going to feature "The Official Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Scrapbook," a picture book by Robert Stigwood and Dee Anthony (the producers), chronicling the making "Sgt. Pepper," a film which frequently tops the 'worst movies ever made' lists. With its stylized, living comic-book feel and comically campy, over-the-top performances, the film has developed a cult audience -- many of whom were young children when they discovered the movie. A lot of the photos and information in the book haven't surfaced elsewhere, and used copies are becoming harder and harder to come by, so I figured it was high time that the book was available online -- after all, we're rapidly approaching the 30th anniversary of the film. I also intend to offer a downloadable pdf file with the entire book once it's fully scanned.

Because of the way blogger is laid out, I'm adding pages in reverse order so that they appear sequentially once it's entirely online.

3 comments:

Helios said...

Thanks for the fond memories.

Like many others, I discovered SPLHCB as a youngster and I do have some very fond memories of the movie. I recall watching the film repeatedly on my dad's old laserdisc player back in the day (but flipping those discs every 30 or so minutes got old real fast), and to this day I prefer this movie's renditions of the songs to the original Beatles songs.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I am completely obsessed with this movie. Its so horrible that its great. I love it!

Delia Jean Streefkerk said...

I'm amazed to find this site! My boyfriend back in high school actually had this book, around 1979, as a movie souvenir. I destroyed it with him because we were making fun of the Bee Gees and disco, and now I regret I destroyed a real collector's item. Oh, teenage anger...